Monday, May 7, 2012

Trailer Parks and Park City

First things first- I forgot to bring my camera cord so unfortunately no one get's to see pics yet!
HOWEVER...
I am in Snoqualmie- which looks (no joke) exactly like Park City. It's insane.. they even have the "outlets" that have nearly the exact same stores. I have pics- ya'll will love it.
our area covers Snoqualmie and Fall City- Snoqualmie looks like park city... fall city looks like......
umm..... kinda like a kamas. haha but more trailer parks.

My comp is great. She is from Bountiful, She is super super chill- and really easy going. Which is great, but sometimes can get frustrating. We went to our apartment the day I got transfered and OH MY GOSH... it was a mess. it was so gross. the smell was NASTY! You would have thought we had just stepped into an elders apartment, but nope! Sisters have been living there for the past 8 months! There were bags of clothes stuffed in closets, the fridge was full of moldy food and the freezer was just the same. I opened the cupboards and found multiple boxes of random korean/asian foods. I smelled this nasty smell (on top of the underlying stench) and my nose was lead to a rotten pomegranate inside a Ritz cracker box..
...
......
....I gagged.

The apartment was so gross!!!!! haha and S.feller is so chill and easy going that she just didn't care. So last P-day I spent the whole day clearing out all the clothes that were left from other sisters, all the random junk that sisters had kept, and I tackled the kitchen-bathroom-and dining room.
it-was-gross.
after all that was done, we had - 11garbage bags full of DI stuff. 3 garbage bags full of just grocery bags left over. 5 garbage bags full of food that I had thrown out.
I was horrified. I felt like I had just been on a TV show.

Finally the apartment is clean!

after that, sister feller told me we were going to go see a boy named Austin.
Austin is 8 years old and lives a bit of a hard life, his mum is not in the picture. Dad has MS and cant' really provide. Austin has been diagnosed with autism-adhd-and bipolar. His parents aren't mormon, and the sisters met him while tracting.
So we get in the car, drive through this pretty area (that looks like park city) and we go down the canyon (which looks like Parleys) into Fall City. Parts of Fall City are nice... others, are not.
She told me to turn into this Trailer Park- we pull in to see 4 boys playing catch with a bike tire...
....2 of them had mullets.
..1 had a nascar shirt on.
I wish I were making this up, good thing I have pictures, huh?!
That is where I met Austin, Austin is a small 8 year old with a blonde mullet. He wears raggedy and holy clothes- but his smile distracts you from noticing. He is kind, loves sister missionaries, but has a hard time sitting still. We played bike tire catch for a few minutes, then decided to go over to their trailer to meet Austins dad. Their house is covered with tarps (to keep the rain out) and old car seats double as furniture. Richard, Austins dad, slowly crept out of the front door. He has MS and tends to lay in bed for days at a time. You could see the wrinkles in his face and the scars on his hands and know that he must have a story to tell. He lit up whenever we mentioned Austin- he went on to tell us about a "wrap around" program that the school would be starting Austin on- and that hopefully someone will be able to help him learn. We told Richard that we would love if he could bring Austin to church this Sunday- he agreed, yet didn't seem to promising. We then had a lesson with Austin- we taught him the importance of scripture reading and prayer. when we asked him why it was important to pray to God, he said "Cuz then you know you aint never alone" (Austin has a great accent) He is an awesome young boy, although not many in the neighborhood or at school will ever take the time to see that. He get's in trouble a lot because he gets in fights. He has a big heart, but an even bigger fence around it.
After that, we knocked on another trailer- A lady named Sharon and her husband (Rick) live there. Sharon is a recent convert, and Rick refuses to ever convert. Rick is a very nice, outgoing man who loves to have "bluegrass bbq's" in the trailer park (In which we will attend next week) soooo excited haha!

There are so many things I could tell you about everyone here- but I never have enough time!!! ahh! Here is a short rundown-

A- his name is actually a really long crazy Thai one, so we just call him "A" instead. He owns a Thai restauraunt here in town, on date to be baptized may 12, but he actually lives in Seattle- but works over here and is over here all the time, so it is currently a battle trying to figure out if he will be bpatized here or in seattle.

John- he is crazy, but super awesome. He owns a beautiful home on about 4 acres, he has two mini horses- a crazy goat- and a few dogs. John is awesome, he was so close to being baptized, but then a member told him about Garments, and it freaked him out. He has a big heart and is super sweet. He does hair and owns a few salons.

At church yesterday, I met a "brother and sister dance" they used to be the mission presidents up in Alaska- and they know the Schlechters! crazy small mormon world!

-The bishop of the ward is young, like late 30's and has been the bishop for almost 5 years. He is a BYU and a Lakers fan... sick.

Sunday morning we called Austin to remind him about church and he said (in his hick accent)
- I'm busy! I got a full Schedule
-lotsa things i gots to do. I gots to play video games and make toast for lunch.
sis feller said "austin, it's very important that you come to church to take sacrament, ya know, the bread and the water?" he said..
-just come over sister! I got bread... I got water!!!! (referring to the sacrament)

he's a hoot.

Elder Golden (of the 70) came to visit our mission, he was awesome! I learned a lot!

Sister Feller and I get along, she can be kind of awkward though, haha. She isn't too social- and will sometimes just awkwardly stand in front of people and not talk. but all in all, she's great!
She has only been in this area 1 transfer, so she doesn't really know the people that well. So we are both trying to get to know everyone.

I still feel so old knowing im turning 23 on wednesday! time has flown!

anywhos- love you all!!!
xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that indomitable Amy spirit! Would she benefit from having some of Adam's hand me downs for this little boy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Amy, I just found your blog! you were in Federal Way?! and you lived with the Jarstads?! What wards were you in? Did you meet anyone who knew me? I sure you did. Tell me, tell me! Give me names! Crazy that FW is going to be a mission eh? Guess what, I'm back in CT now for good. Say hi to Seattle for me, and The Summit! too bad you can't go skiing :)

    ReplyDelete